Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Don't judge a game by its cover (DIshonored)

I picked this super cliche title for this post, as it is a perfect example of assuming something about a game based on nothing but hearing the name and seeing the box art, I am talking about the newly released game "Dishonored"

This game had not gotten a second look from me until a few days ago, I had heard the title, and seen a cover that reminded me of the terrible game "Army of Two" and I assumed that it too, would be some lame third person action shooter. That was until my wife and I were watching episodes of Face Off (a special effects make up show on SyFy) and they did an episode on this game, calling it "one of 2012's most anticipated games" which I laughed at, considering all of the heavy hitting titles that are set to come out this year. But then they explained the game and showed some footage and I immediately knew I was very mistaken about this game.

There is a slight resemblance
After watching some videos, and reading some previews, I was sold and picked this game up, and have put in around 6 hours into it. It feels like Bioshock, Assissns Creed, and Hitman rolled into one. You gain supernatural powers that are similar to the plasmids in Bioshock, being able to upgrade them individually when you have enough of the required "Runes". The stealth is very fun, hiding in the shadows, watching the enemies, learning their routes and using your various powers to get the drop on them feel like you could give Snake and Sam Fisher a run for their money. The combat is violent and unforgiving, if you are spotted and have to engage a large group it is very easy to die, one good blow from a sword will kill you, as will a well placed bullet. Every section has multiple ways of achieving your goal, some obvious ways, and some not so obvious. The replay value is through the roof on this, I have problems with even finishing a lot of games, not only do I want to finish this, I want to play it again and try a different approach to the levels, maybe try a no kill playthough.

To anyone that has complained about all there is is sequels and nothing new out there, this is the game to pick up. This is not a "buy it used" or "Steam sale" game, this is a game that needs to be bought now to support the developers that took a chance on a new IP, and show them that we do want new and fresh ideas. Sadly, I feel that this game has come out at a terrible time, they are trying to beat the huge releases this holiday season (COD, Halo, Assassins Creed etc...) but I fear this will get swept under the carpet as some low quality game, and that is a shame. If this game does not gain commercial success, it will surely become a cult classic, and be on hidden gems lists in the years to come.

If you want something fresh with some great ideas, interesting story, and awesome game play, you owe it to yourself and the games industry to pick this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment