Friday, October 19, 2012

The most awesome wedding invites you have seen!

When the task came up of creating an awesome, original wedding invite, I knew we had to go all out, and make something that people would be talking about for years to come. These have already started to make their way around the internet, showing up on some lists for geek wedding invites, but I wanted to still post the full story and details of the invites, as most of the sites share only a very brief description.


Here they are, my wedding invites, I am confident that these are the only invites of their kind (until people copy our idea). The idea started a while ago, when I knew I wanted an invite that wasn't like the cookie cutter ones I print every day at work, I wanted something that had not been done and that would get people talking. Since our wedding has a video game theme the idea hit me, make the invite out of a game. That bloomed into making them look like a real game (wedding themed of course), and we began throwing out ideas. We settled on using Sega Genesis games as our template, since most Genesis games came in a nice sturdy clam shell case, and we knew where there was a mountain of sports titles sitting on a shelf that needed a new purpose in life.

So we had the idea and the template to work with, we had to come up with the title for our "game". We threw out some ideas of remixing well known titles with wedding themes. After many ideas, we decided on "Super Wedding Fighter II Turbo Championship Edition" obviously a spoof on the long titles of the Street Fighter series. With a solid idea and title, we were on our way to creating some one of a kind invites. We started with gathering the donor games, off to the local used record/game shop I hit up all the time to clear their shelf of sad, forgotten Genesis sports titles. Carrying up a stack of $0.99 old sports games (many of them dups) was a fully sight, and explaining them to the cashier was a must. We gutted the covers and manuals, as they would not be needed, all we wanted were the carts and cases.

Next we had to get the cover ready, I know an amazing artist that I knew would be able to provide us with a perfect graphic for our cover to really sell the idea of it being an actual game. I used my mad Photoshop skills to create a template for the cover, and got it all ready for the custom artwork to be placed in. I also printed custom labels for the carts, using a "borrowed" picture from the Scott Pilgrim graphic novel. This served as a "save the date" with a magnet placed on the back to stick on the fridge.

Once we had all of the artwork ready, and we got the first one together, we couldn't believe how great they looked. They were better than we could have hoped for, and really looked like a real game. Upon handing them out we had to explain to most people that they were in fact, just invites and not real games that you could play. Enough of the description, here are the pics I know you were waiting for.

Here it is, in all its glory!
It would look right at home on any collectors shelf.
I tried to keep all the small details.
All of the documentation, including the invite, response card, and warning.
The other side of the invite card (I know there is a typo in there, but don't tell anyone)
 

So there it is, it took a lot of work and time to make these a reality, and we couldn't be happier with them. I hope you enjoyed them too, and maybe it will inspire many video game themed invites to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment